Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: causes of potential cpu oveheating and solutions

Thanks
    EP Points

Default causes of potential cpu oveheating and solutions

first off I figured I'd post this here so it doesn't get lost in the HO.
    A little background recently I suffered a few bsods which I believe I have resolved. with the last bsod I grew concerned about cpu heat as I am currently going through a heatwave my room gets hot during the day with no real way to mitigate the heat I've taken to turning off my pc due to concerns of overheat and to try and reduce the temps in my room during this time.
    with my rambling out of the way I will ask these questions to solve my problems and to gather info for others that may have similar issues.
    what could be causing a cpu to overheat?
    what are normal operating temps?
    what solutions are there?
    are the solutions cheap(dirt cheap)or free?

Possible Causes:
    dusty heat sink
    bad thermal past
    improper heatsink mounting
    bad or inadequate heatsink
    overclocked cpu

Solutions:
    clean dust
    replace thermal paste
    check heatsink for proper mounting
    replace heatsink
    replace/add case fan(s)
    underclock cpu
    Last edited by Grouch; 21st-June-2024 at 08:05.
    thumperbunnyeve~If Purchase does not entail ownership, then sharing shouldn't mean piracy.
    help the socially disabled https://gofund.me/3234a082
    my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDs...gHZ_f8tjf8jW4w

Thanks
    Thanked 13,314 Times in 1,166 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Grouch View Post
    what solutions are there?
    are the solutions cheap(dirt cheap)or free?
    Turn your computer off when it's hot out :trollface.jpg: But you're already doing that.

You don't still have a crappy stock cooling system, right? I swear they only include those because they assume everyone will replace them. A cheap whatever brand/size heat pipe works wonders. You can usually find one for $20 on Amazon. Last one I bought came with two fans when fans often cost $10 a pop.

Edit: Check out this piece of crap. $15, 92mm should fit in smaller cases.
    https://www.amazon.com/ID-COOLING-SE...dp/B0CJY5LH65/

Or this enormous monstrosity with two 120mm fans for $28.
    https://www.amazon.com/upHere-Cooler...dp/B0CRDX9F1V/
    Last edited by Ragnar; 20th-June-2024 at 13:27.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Turn your computer off when it's hot out :trollface.jpg: But you're already doing that.

You don't still have a crappy stock cooling system, right? I swear they only include those because they assume everyone will replace them. A cheap whatever brand/size heat pipe works wonders. You can usually find one for $20 on Amazon. Last one I bought came with two fans when fans often cost $10 a pop.

Edit: Check out this piece of crap. $15, 92mm should fit in smaller cases.
    https://www.amazon.com/ID-COOLING-SE...dp/B0CJY5LH65/

Or this enormous monstrosity with two 120mm fans for $28.
    https://www.amazon.com/upHere-Cooler...dp/B0CRDX9F1V/
    I probably do but it's been fine for a while. since I wrote my first post I had been looking into a new cpu cooler. the ones I seen on amazon have good prices but are being shipped from china and I don't have very good experience with that and it wouldn't do me much good to wait months to get a new cooling fan when it's summer now
    I was also thinking of getting another case fan but if I get one of these coolers I don't know if I could fit it in my case but I could replace my current case fan with a better one.
    I have seen a couple pci slot fans are those any good?
    thumperbunnyeve~If Purchase does not entail ownership, then sharing shouldn't mean piracy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Silly question, have you popped off the CPU cooler and changed the paste recently? Cause if it's 5-10 years old that's probably a good idea. If it's just a couple years old, it's fine.

the ones I seen on amazon have good prices but are being shipped from china and I don't have very good experience with that and it wouldn't do me much good to wait months to get a new cooling fan when it's summer now
    Oh yeah, always look if it's being shipped by Amazon. If it is it'll be at your door in a couple days, even when it's a weird 3rd party seller. Amazon just has those guys ship their stock to their warehouses, so all the fulfillment is done by Amazon locally. I can't really see the shipping options on .com cause it keeps telling me about the options to ship stuff to Canada...

I was also thinking of getting another case fan but if I get one of these coolers I don't know if I could fit it in my case but I could replace my current case fan with a better one.
    I have seen a couple pci slot fans are those any good?
    I can't imagine a PCI slot fan would be worthwhile. You just need a nice case exhaust fan, ideally with CPU and graphics cards fans directing their air towards it. And maybe a case inlet fan so there's a sensible flow through the case.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Silly question, have you popped off the CPU cooler and changed the paste recently? Cause if it's 5-10 years old that's probably a good idea. If it's just a couple years old, it's fine.

Oh yeah, always look if it's being shipped by Amazon. If it is it'll be at your door in a couple days, even when it's a weird 3rd party seller. Amazon just has those guys ship their stock to their warehouses, so all the fulfillment is done by Amazon locally. I can't really see the shipping options on .com cause it keeps telling me about the options to ship stuff to Canada...

I can't imagine a PCI slot fan would be worthwhile. You just need a nice case exhaust fan, ideally with CPU and graphics cards fans directing their air towards it. And maybe a case inlet fan so there's a sensible flow through the case.
    no the thermal paste isn't even a year old. I have a couple that I'm looking at on ebay. my gfx cards fan vents down toward my psu the psu fan vents out the back along with my one case fan. I have an external desk fan that I've been using to push air into the case.
    the bitch with my case is I don't see a place to mount a fan on the the front but have two spots on the top.

Thanks
    EP Points

the bitch with my case is I don't see a place to mount a fan on the the front but have two spots on the top.
    Some cases just suck, but there's usually some point on the front. Is there an annoying plastic face over the front on the thing? Sometimes if you peel that plastic face open you discover a hidden fan attach point between the case and plastic.
    Never liked top fans myself, I guess it makes sense to put a fan on the bottom to suck in and the top to vent. But in my experience the space under my PC gathers dust so it'd get plugged up, and I always put shit on top of my PCs so that'd block vents. In/front out/back makes the most sense IMO.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What temps is it hitting in use?

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You could underclock during the summer and play less resource intensive games. Try using Throttlestop as software if hardware is not a solution in your case, Grouch.

https://www.techpowerup.com/278547/t...p-9-3-released
    Free beer for everyone! --> How to upload files as ROM patches.

Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll?
    Spoiler warning:

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Some cases just suck, but there's usually some point on the front. Is there an annoying plastic face over the front on the thing? Sometimes if you peel that plastic face open you discover a hidden fan attach point between the case and plastic.
    Never liked top fans myself, I guess it makes sense to put a fan on the bottom to suck in and the top to vent. But in my experience the space under my PC gathers dust so it'd get plugged up, and I always put shit on top of my PCs so that'd block vents. In/front out/back makes the most sense IMO.
    my case does have a plastic face plate with a dust filter and a dust screen behind it on the case there's no mounting spot on the front behind the screen but it could be possible to jerry rig a fan there the bigger problem would be if the cable is long enough to reach a power connector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Magician View Post
    What temps is it hitting in use?
    it has been varying at idle it's been at 167f-175f sometimes in the 180's (when I say idle I mean I'm not doing much I currently have 2 folders open image viewer pj64 and my bt client) under load it's been at 208f that's when using my browser with only a couple tabs open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Till View Post
    You could underclock during the summer and play less resource intensive games. Try using Throttlestop as software if hardware is not a solution in your case, Grouch.

https://www.techpowerup.com/278547/t...p-9-3-released
    that's an interesting solution. I have been avoiding playing any pc game lately as I've been messing around with snes and some n64 stuff

I did also want to ask about thermal paste. what is the best kind and brands to use? I believe I used artic silver when I put this together.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I did also want to ask about thermal paste. what is the best kind and brands to use? I believe I used artic silver when I put this together.
    The best options include Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for its excellent thermal conductivity, making it ideal for overclocking and high-performance builds; Arctic MX-5, known for its great performance, affordability, and ease of application; Noctua NT-H2, which provides a well-balanced upgrade from the popular NT-H1 with good thermal conductivity; Cooler Master MasterGel Maker Nano, featuring nano diamond particles for high-performance cooling; and Corsair XTM50, which offers reliable thermal performance at a balanced price point.
    Free beer for everyone! --> How to upload files as ROM patches.

Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll?
    Spoiler warning:

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Till View Post
    The best options include Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for its excellent thermal conductivity, making it ideal for overclocking and high-performance builds; Arctic MX-5, known for its great performance, affordability, and ease of application; Noctua NT-H2, which provides a well-balanced upgrade from the popular NT-H1 with good thermal conductivity; Cooler Master MasterGel Maker Nano, featuring nano diamond particles for high-performance cooling; and Corsair XTM50, which offers reliable thermal performance at a balanced price point.
    I did a little lookup artic mx-5 has been discontinued and replaced by the mx-6 line. currently thermal grizzly and artic mx-6 are the cheapest options.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sounds like the cooler isn't making full contact. One of the prongs was damaged on the one I sent, double check that they're all through the holes, and the cooler is firmly mounted and locked.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sounds like the cooler isn't making full contact. One of the prongs was damaged on the one I sent, double check that they're all through the holes, and the cooler is firmly mounted and locked.
    I did check that earlier this week one of them wasn't secured so I tightened it back down. I am planning on ordering a new heatsink and thermal paste next week. so I'm limiting my up time for now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sounds like a good plan. The stock cooler sucks but it shouldn't hit 90 - 100C on light loads or idle that hot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Some years ago my brother bought like a 500 gram tub of "Cooler Master" thermal paste for like $20, it's for automotive use. Shortly after we were cleaning up one of our PC's and needed some new paste, he looked at his random tub which was still 90% full, and we slapped that stuff in there... There was no discernible change in temps from the fancy Arctic Silver whatever I was running before. We've slapped that random paste into a half dozen builds since with no issues.
    My conclusion is all thermal paste is basically the same. Better kinds might only cause a change of like one degree. Proper application would be far more important than what kind it is.

Sounds like a good plan. The stock cooler sucks but it shouldn't hit 90 - 100C on light loads or idle that hot.
    Yeah that seems high. But not the end of the world if on heavy loads, a CPU is designed to take that. Modern CPUs will automatically throttle themselves if they run too hot... But you shouldn't ever hit throttling, assuming it's properly cooled.