Thread: Trimming CDI files: How?

Thanks

Default Trimming CDI files: How?

I managed to track down a copy of the ECHELON release of Vigilante 8: Second Offense for the Dreamcast lately, but there's an issue with burning it: From what I understand from reading the ECHELON self-boot tutorial, you need 3 minutes of "playtime" left over for the self boot system to work. The example given is 77 minutes of length on an 80 minute disk.

The ECHELON release is 78 minutes long. How can I trim a music file out of the CDI to get the burn to work? So far as I know, the ECHELON release is the only american version of the game out there, as their release notes mentioned the alternate release was japanese and required a boot-disc, and I've had no luck finding a different version of the game to work with. Any help on getting my nostalgia fix is appreciated, as this is the only game I've had any sort of issues with.

Thanks
    EP Points

You just burn CDIs straight to a CDR, they are selfbootable already.

Use Alcohol 120% or DiscJuggler to burn it.

Thanks

the minutes are really only used to measure audio/music cds. For game/data CDs, the minutes aren't used at all but the size (700MB).

Either way, CD images are always bigger in size on the hard drive then on the CD due to file structure (it's not the same on CD as it is on hdd). So when you see a 800MB cd image, it will still fit on a 700MB CD (when burned correctly of course as a CD image. not as a plain drag-and-burn backup data with Nero for example)

Thanks

The minute thing came up in one of the old echelon tutorials, where they said that you had to have X amount of freespace for selfboot to work. I've burnt discs with Alcohol multiple times, both in raw DAO and TAO form and got nothing but coasters for my efforts. (DAO finishes properly but will not boot, TAO doesn't have room to finish) Padus Discjuggler won't even load the image. It's roughly 765 meg on disc, and when burnt occupies around 690 meg.

Is it possible it's the download itself? I'm not sure how to check, but none of the rar was corrupt when I got it. If not, what's the solution? I've burnt multiple self-booting games from the same drive before, the dreamcast continues to read both GD and CD-roms.

Just realized I forgot to mention the issue with discjuggler: I'm using the demo version and it crashes every time I try to load the file, whether it's listed as a .cdi or a .cdj.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 24th-May-2007 at 17:06.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't think the demo of DiscJuggler loads CDIs bigger than 700mb, either.

Thanks

If you're having trouble burning Discjuggler images, try converting them to nero with cdi2nero.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rentahero View Post
    If you're having trouble burning Discjuggler images, try converting them to nero with cdi2nero.
    May I point out it is best to burn them with Nero 5.5.x, newer versions can be incompatible.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

cdi's over 700mb are usually just fine because the contents does not equal the same size as the cdi file, but yes the demo limits you to burning 700mb of cd contents (the image size does not count at all)

Never had a problem myself using the demo

The only games I have seen over 700mb (made for 99 min cd's) are in nrg format anyway

also cdi to nrg does have probems with some games and will make them just not work, mostly it works just fine though so just a small warning

You may need to remove discjuggler from your system, it may cause problems with other burning software you have installed (though this tends to be a problem with other software using cd drivers not DJ itself from what I have heard from other people with DJ problems)

nero 5.5.x should be fine also anyway and if you don't fancy using cdi2nrg you can always mount with daemon tools and do a cd to cd burn (you still need to make sure you are using software that is compatable with burning Dreamcast games)

You may need to make sure you have the overburn options enabled aswell
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-June-2007 at 08:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR