Thread: Mame doesn't read all roms...

Thanks

Default Mame doesn't read all roms...

I been having this problem for years but have been working it out by using multiple types of MAME's.

My problem is that I want to use one build of MAME to read all of my roms. I have a lot of CPS1, 2 and 3 games, a lot of Cave games and a lot of the regularly running games like fighters and what not, but my problem is that not all of the versions of MAME run all my roms.

I was wondering what is the reason for this? For example, I have Dodonpachi (original,) I have the rom, but it doesn't show up in the newest MAME build (0.143u8). If I try to load it, it says rom files missing.

Am I missing something possibly? It works on older mame builds though...

By the way, I have all my rom files in one folder (C:\Games\Arcade\roms)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

there are a lot of bad/partial ROMs out there for MAME. Make sure you have a good source. Try the Arcade Systems section here. Emuparadise tends to be a very reliable site for console ROMs/ISOs. I would expect them to be just as reliable for your MAME needs.

As for whether some ROMs work on some MAME builds and not others, considering how varied PC builds are, most programs don't work on EVERY computer. That's why major games run beta launches. It helps to see where they need to fix the program to run on more varied computers than the machines they used to build it.

I doubt you're missing something, aside from the fact that bad ROMs exist. Hopefully just the link above will fix this issue for you.

By the way, here is the forum section for arcade emulation help. There should be some good info there.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Thanks a lot, that clarified everything. I downloaded from different sites, I didn't think people redumped roms after years or so I think! I just got (new?) ones.

Supreme Warrior Guest

all you need to do is Find the rom in the mame list and right click on it and AUDIT it,

it will tell you what is wrong with the rom if there are any problems, if not it will pass and be shown as available, no need to do a entire rescan.

and in newer MAMEs ther are alot of drastic changes, such as Mame rom name changes , which is a real pain but easily fixable.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Cali View Post
    I been having this problem for years but have been working it out by using multiple types of MAME's.

My problem is that I want to use one build of MAME to read all of my roms. I have a lot of CPS1, 2 and 3 games, a lot of Cave games and a lot of the regularly running games like fighters and what not, but my problem is that not all of the versions of MAME run all my roms.

I was wondering what is the reason for this? For example, I have Dodonpachi (original,) I have the rom, but it doesn't show up in the newest MAME build (0.143u8). If I try to load it, it says rom files missing.

Am I missing something possibly? It works on older mame builds though...

By the way, I have all my rom files in one folder (C:\Games\Arcade\roms)
    I was having this same problem, couldn't find Sinistar (fixed that) and Saturday Night Slam Masters (still can't find it)

A bit of a pain in the ass isn't it?