Thread: copying GD-ROMs with out Broadband adapter?

Thanks

Default copying GD-ROMs with out Broadband adapter?

Since broadband adapters are very expensive now (around $200) and coders cables transfer around 11.5kb/s (1gb in 25 hours)I was wondering if you could use the standard 56k modem.
    I do have an old computer with a 56k modem too.

Thanks

That's very rare to have a 56k modem. My other computer is broken and my other computer is now used in school.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It should be possible but I beleive a bit of modding is needed this I can say I never got round to doing, the modding is needed due to there not being enough power going through the modem cable to receive a reversed call through from the dreamcast to the PC modem (heard that some external plug into wall for power modems help get around that issue)

The other thing needed is reg editing to make the PC side modem receive calls instead of making them and you also need a few small progs

The above is to make your dreamcast call a PC and don't know if this will let you rip GD-Roms

Here are some guides for 56k connections routed through your PC

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/..._pcdcwin98.php
    http://www.maturion.de/dreamcast/mterlouw/

Windows 98 is maybe the easy method, 2K and XP it gets a lil more complicated

The 2nd link has a great easy to use guide for 98 2K and XP the 1st link details the issue of power that I mentioned before (The one reason I never got this working)

The guides are more aimed at olde school gamers that want to play online games that route the 56k/33k connection through a PC connected to the internet via whatever it uses, long time since I checked this out but I'm sure the connection to PC can be used for other things asides from games, think the 2nd link has info on such things

Do check out both guides, together they should help greatly, this is by far a noobish thing to attempt so make sure you read through carefully, might be worth backing up reg setting to a .reg file with every change, so if anything goes wrong you can alsways reverse what you have done
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-January-2011 at 13:57.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks Zorlon!
    I'll try it once i find the processor for my 99 pesario (I do not know were it is or why it is out )

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I would be very interested to know what can be done with this, aparently even though you end up with a 33k conection it's still great for gamers online, pitty I never got it working, but I am guessing it's to do with the lack of power running through the phone cable between Dreamcast and PC

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR