Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF9 Iso 'hiccup'?

Thanks

Default FF9 Iso 'hiccup'?

Hi guys,
    I'm using the psx 1.70, on disc three of Final Fantasy nine and suddenly, at a very specific scene, it will fade to black (ushering a new scene) but never come back, it just stays black.

I've tried changing my video plugin, tried running it in epsxe 1.6, and tried rebooting at a different save point but nothing is working.
    The bios I'm running is scph1001 and the file is 'Final Fantasy IX [NTSC-U] [Disc 3 of 4] [SLUS-01296] and it is a 'bin' file in VLC format (sorry if I left anything out feel free to ask)
    Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks
    EP Points

could you link to where you downloaded the file?
    I'm sure you know most of this but epsxe1.5.2 is recommended for final fantasy games we recommend pete's plugins petes opengl2,
    d3d, or opsoft set off screen drawing to 3 go to special fixes and make sure all the ones having to do with final fantasy 9 are checked if you try epsxe 1.5.2 also make sure that the one is checked saying it needs to be in 1.5.2 don't know if this will help but someone with more knowledge than me should be able to tell you more.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightshade For This Useful Post:

Thanks

tried playing on the 1.5.2, same hiccup this is the iso I downloaded

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Its not the file, I have played that one all the way through on my PSP.
    Im guessing its a problem with your emulator's plugins. Im sure someone can suggest a better one, but I would have no clue since I never emulate PS games.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Upload your memcard with a save as close as possible to the crashy point, if I get time later I will do some testing and fix your issue for you, I will also need to know what vid and sound plugins you are currently using for the game and a screen grab of the settings for your vid.

I will also need quick instruction on what to do to get to the crashy scene (This is the only single player FF game I never got into infact never got off of CD1)

You already linked the CD I need so it's just the memcard that needs uploading and a copy of your vid settings

P.S. changing settings then loading a save state reverts any changes
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-May-2011 at 08:33.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Zorlon,
    Here is the memory card, it is loaded as close to the fatal scene as possible. I know you haven't played the game so I'll try and give a little bit of directions (though if you have trouble ask, since my narrative skill might not be the best -.-'). From the save screen there will be a staircase, just follow that path until you hit the next screen, you should arrive at the 'Treno/Card Stadium' (if you access the menu you'll see your location in the lower right screen, just like most FF games). When you are there go into the only building there, a short scene will play and then you will be forced to play a card game (winning or losing doesn't matter here), after the game is over two scenes will play, one where you talk with the 'player' you just played in the card game. Shortly another scene will play involving a white haired man. Once this scene is over the game will fade to black and not allow me to continue.
    Please let me know if you experience this problem as well.
    The video plugin I'm using is 'Pete's open GL2 Driver 2.9'
    The sound plugin I'm using is 'ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0
    I've tried changing the video but this hasn't happened.

On a very related note, I just noticed that, when I run the 'DOS' looking file that shows command prompts of the ePSX and I get to the blackout screen, it says 'Warning: ISORead overflow' I'm sure this is the cause of the problem but how do I fix it?
    Last edited by enantiomer; 20th-May-2011 at 18:13.

Thanks
    EP Points

omg i know what your issue is hahaha its a common bug with 1.7.0 the only solution was to use 1.6.0 or 1.5.2 its the bahumut scene where
    Spoiler warning:
    he destroys alexandria
    i have already passed this on my game im sure i used 1.6.0 for it try it

EDIT: try using the stuff from this link
    Last edited by Bennieboi20; 20th-May-2011 at 18:58.
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennieboi20 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Bennieboi,
    This didn't seem to fix the problem...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Works for me, at a quick guess what at what you may be doing wrong, is that you use run>CD Image instead of Run CD-Rom

If you are then install Daemon Tools Lite (It's completly free for home use), you don't want to or have to install the toolbar search engine that comes with the install, you will want to reset from the install

The Boot time is a little slower when running from the Virtual drive

Also in your CD plugin make sure it is set to read the correct drive

What you are missing is a FMV playback then more scenes with that white haired geeza

I can't see your current setup being an issue at all to be honest. P.S. using this method to play your CD images also fixes the change CD option in ePSXe 1.7.0, i.e. it will work now

EDIT:-

Sorry it took so long to get back to you been trying to fix my 1GB external.. kinda give up on it, it has too many I/O errors and that usually = dead

EDIT AGAIN:-

Seems to work both ways for me, if you are still getting errors and mounting your CD image is not helping, you could upload a save state during the scene before the crash, if it works me then I can create a save state at the start of the FMV and just after the FMV so you can atleast play the remainder of the game without missing anything or maybe just the FMV

I was using Pete's OpenGL (My gfx chip has no OGL2 support for the filters, thats the main diff between OGL and OGL2, OGL2 has filter plugins OGL does not) just a basic setup and one special fix on for the Battles in FF9

I use 1.7.0 myself, actually never recomended using 1.6.0 or 1.5.2 myself, the only reason 1.5.2 does on ocation is because that version needed less settings tweeked for a few squaresoft games, but those same games run perfectly fine in 1.7.0

Don't know about a common bug in 1.7.0 because it worked fine for me

EDIT

I'll be back on Monday if issues are still there I will help out then...
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-May-2011 at 23:04.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

hi if ur talking about the scene with Dr. tot and the girl with the horn, i had the same problem, i'm using psx rather than espexe and running it from an iso on win xp. i got passed this scene by closing psx used magic disc to mount the ccd file in the ff9 disc 3 folder then loaded up the img file in psx and replayed that part of the game, it played through with no problems. also if you use the img file instead of bin this sometimes helps don't know why?. psx graphics don't look as good but seems to be more stable than espexe never had a problem with it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by mooglepower View Post
    hi if ur talking about the scene with Dr. tot and the girl with the horn, i had the same problem, i'm using psx rather than espexe and running it from an iso on win xp. i got passed this scene by closing psx used magic disc to mount the ccd file in the ff9 disc 3 folder then loaded up the img file in psx and replayed that part of the game, it played through with no problems. also if you use the img file instead of bin this sometimes helps don't know why?. psx graphics don't look as good but seems to be more stable than espexe never had a problem with it.
    No the scene that he's on about is after that bit but i believe that he has solved this problem now thanks anyways
    *Computer Specs*

Thanks

Hey all!

I'm reviving this thread since I got the same issue as Enantiomer did, only difference it happened at CD2 when I enter the city Cleyra. After a short event the characters goes into the next scene which should usher a new scene, but the screen remains black and I only here background sounds. When the black screen hits the emulator's log shows "Warning: ISOread overflow" and Im pretty much stuck here.

I have already read some forums (aswell as this one ofc) about this issue and the soloutions I've tried and failed is as follows:

- Ran FF9 as an "ISO", loaded the save-state in epsxe versions 1.5.3 and 1.6.0 and still got the same error message. (As I did when i ran FF9 in 1.7.0 which I use primarily)

- As Zorlon suggested; Used Daemon tools lite, mounted the '.bin' file (in VLC format) into a new cdrom device. Then set the epsxe cd-plugin to read that new device.
    Ran FF9 through "run cdrom", loaded save state in epsxe versions 1.5.3, 1.6.0 and 1.7.0, and got another error instead;

"*scsi command error = 1117 handle = 00000154"
    "*Error reading C 0,1,74"

- Ran FF9 through another Emulator; PSX 1.13 and moved the save-states to its folder, but was unable to read them.
    Tried moving memcards from epsex to PSX and replayed alot and actually got past the black screen issue with PSX!

Altough i'm still looking for a solve to the epsxe issue since it seems Zorlon and Enantiomer managed to do so. The problem is prob similar since when I saw the continuance on PSX from the black screen on epsxe I noted it was a movie-event much like the one following Enantiomer's on disc 3. On a sidenote I've only used quicksaves apart from the cd1-2 transition, which i played from when trying the PSX emulator.

- This is my info on my configuration as follows;

Bios: scph1001
    Video plugin: Pete's open GL2 Driver 2.9 (nice-settings)
    Sound plugin: ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0
    Cdrom plugin: ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.7.0
    Files downloaded from emuparadise: http://www.emuparadise.me/cgi-bin/do...gi?ff9disc1-01
    (rewrote the link to adapt to cd and part for all the cds, means i reused the same link, only changed the no on disc and part)

Hope to hear from anyone soon, and soz for long post, but I want to be as informative as possible

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Morthul View Post
    save-states
    Thats pretty much the issue there, if you managed to get past the screen with PSx then try and do a normal save, and transfer the file back, im unsure as to why your getting this error though possibly a bad image?
    *Computer Specs*

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I kinda agree

Load ya save state then make a memcard save as close to the change point as possible. close ePSXe then re start ePSXe and use Run CD-Rom and load up the memcard save, that shouls let you continue, if not look at your settings again.

Problem with save states is they also save any emu settings aswell as ram data and can't be used in another emu, specially one that does not use plugin settings like PsxFin because it holds more data than just a game ram dump.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Zorlorn: "Load ya save state then make a memcard save as close to the change point as possible"

The problem is though that my save-state is too close to the change point, its loaded at a non-player controlled character lore-event (not a movie event that is) and they just run in automatically. I have no means of going back and do a memcard save, which u do through summoning a moogle.(and which u cant summon inside a city, only outside in the big world)

So I guess my choices are to replay from the start of cd2 (loosing alot of work) and use PSX, transfer memcard saves between the emu's. Or if you are able to help Zorlon as u seemed to do with Enantiomer;

Quote Zorlorn: "you could upload a save state during the scene before the crash, if it works me then I can create a save state at the start of the FMV and just after the FMV so you can atleast play the remainder of the game without missing anything or maybe just the FMV"

Just asking

Btw, how do u do a Thank you-post like the other guy did? seemed more flashy then a simple thanks on a new post :p
    Last edited by Morthul; 25th-June-2011 at 11:23.