Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you make roms from the original CDs?

Thanks

Default How do you make roms from the original CDs?

I have some games (FF7 and DBZ Ultimate Battle 22) that I want to make roms out of so I don't have to run them off the CD... how can I do that? I already tried a normal image maker thing (UltraISO), but it didn't ever run correctly.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, you don't exactly make "roms" from CD games. They are called "ISOs", and here's some guides on how to make them, right here at Emuparadise

http://forums.emuparadise.org/showthread.php?t=23389

Thanks

I know that the file type isn't a rom, per se, but do you know what rom is? it's "Read Only Memory." Hardware that you save stuff too and it doesn't get deleted whenever you reboot. That's why they call it a CD *****ROM*****. So, although it may be a bin, iso, or img, or lots of other crap, like a nrg file... it is a ROM image. ANYWAY. Thanks for the link!! Very helpful!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by pxc
    I know that the file type isn't a rom, per se, but do you know what rom is? it's "Read Only Memory." Hardware that you save stuff too and it doesn't get deleted whenever you reboot. That's why they call it a CD *****ROM*****. So, although it may be a bin, iso, or img, or lots of other crap, like a nrg file... it is a ROM image. ANYWAY. Thanks for the link!! Very helpful!
    Just be thankful for the links, and wrong about ROMs.

A ROM is an acronym for read only memory. ROMs are only stored on flash memory; a chip of some type. An ISO is a CD-ROM image in the ISO9660 Standard, set by the International Organization for Standardization. CD-ROM's are only referred to as ROM because they originally could only store memory for reading, not be written to.

Hel...Sioux Falls, SD USA...wait their the same damned thing! Hell...
    Thanks

technically by what you guys are saying: no video-game image (cartrage or disk) could really be called a rom outside it's original media...due to the fact that once it's an image on your hdd you can alter it in varios ways...(besides the point but i figured i'd let you guys know that this is what your saying...)
    My name is Lunargirl, I am a woman. You can say i'm wrong all you want, but, I'll just say your a sexist pig you sexist pig! I'm always right, women are always right!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lunargirl
    technically by what you guys are saying: no video-game image (cartrage or disk) could really be called a rom outside it's original media...due to the fact that once it's an image on your hdd you can alter it in varios ways...(besides the point but i figured i'd let you guys know that this is what your saying...)
    No, a ROM is a data dump from a real Read Only Memory chip, so it is called a ROM. There are many formats for ROMs (.nes, .rom, .n64, etc), so they are collectively referred to as ROMs. An ISO is a bit for bit disc image of a CD based game, in the ISO9660 standard format, so it is referred to as an ISO. It really just comes down to the nomenclature; the term CD-ROM confuses people...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It doesn't matter aslong as the system is mentioned we always know what is ment

There shouldn't be any fuss over this, correction maybe.

CD-ROM does stand for compact disc read-only memory, so personly I would accept that, I'm not saying I would be right to but I just don't see why not.

Half the time when ISO is mentioned there not iso's either because there not using ISO9660 standard.

I cheat and just call em CD Images anyway.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Welll, the bottom line is this: You can tell the ones who know what they are talking about by what they call them.

I get PM's from people wanting Dreamcast ROMs those PM's usually go unanswered.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    Welll, the bottom line is this: You can tell the ones who know what they are talking about by what they call them.

I get PM's from people wanting Dreamcast ROMs those PM's usually go unanswered.
    That's why you've been ignoring me?

I've never seen such a heated discussion about the proper classification of a CD image.
    So I make games now sort of. Check the out the one I have in the IGF this year, its totally free: www.mackvswindows.com

Also add me on things.
    twitter: solidusjoe
    Game networks on my profile.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Send them the flash bios/bios roms there ya go Dreamcast roms lol

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon
    Send them the flash bios/bios roms there ya go Dreamcast roms lol

ROFL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    No, a ROM is a data dump from a real Read Only Memory chip, so it is called a ROM. There are many formats for ROMs (.nes, .rom, .n64, etc), so they are collectively referred to as ROMs. An ISO is a bit for bit disc image of a CD based game, in the ISO9660 standard format, so it is referred to as an ISO. It really just comes down to the nomenclature; the term CD-ROM confuses people...
    sidenote: it's not bit for bit...it is usually a compressed representation of the bit for bit table...also if you feel it proves you better because you use the right term perhaps you should stop calling ALL cd images ISO...concidering as the otherdude said most "ISOs" aren't even iso standard aswell as very few anymore are even iso format...
    My name is Lunargirl, I am a woman. You can say i'm wrong all you want, but, I'll just say your a sexist pig you sexist pig! I'm always right, women are always right!

Thanks
    EP Points

sidenote: it's not bit for bit...it is usually a compressed representation of the bit for bit table...also if you feel it proves you better because you use the right term perhaps you should stop calling ALL cd images ISO...concidering as the otherdude said most "ISOs" aren't even iso standard aswell as very few anymore are even iso format...
    While it is true that most ISOs aren't created in the .iso format anymore, if you check, say, Nero for example, you will see that even though the image is created with the .nrg extension, in the Options, you will have different ISO Standards on which it builds its .nrg file

Thanks

that may likely be true...but if all disk images were in iso format it seems that say nero would be able to read them...

Thanks
    EP Points

that may likely be true...but if all disk images were in iso format it seems that say nero would be able to read them...
    ... I thought I can...